Introduction to Sea Kayaking
Our Introduction to Sea Kayaking course will cover the following topics:
- Dressing to paddle safely
- Potential hazards
- Beach launch and landing
- Basic strokes
$65.00 per person – Two Hour Intro to Sea Kayaking Course
2016 dates coming soon! For now you can call and book this course (206) 953-0237
Interested in getting more than just a tour? Learn how to paddle a kayak and get an in depth introduction to the freedom that sea kayaking offers. Our instructors will go over the basics of sea kayaking. We will cover all aspects of safely preparing for your paddle then get out on Elliott Bay for some on-water instruction. Space is limited to 6 persons per evening. If you have a group of 2 or more, we can provide this instruction on another evening by reservation. This course is recommended for rental of our single sea kayaks and these skills are required for the follow-up Rescue and Recovery Course.
While the Intro to Sea Kayaking Course is designed as a stand alone course, it is recommended that paddlers follow up with the Rescue and Recovery or Sea Kayak Touring Essentials courses.
Tips to prepare for your first sea kayak course:
1. Let the Alki Kayak Tours staff member know your height, weight, inseam, and shoe size. These are typical pieces of information that are used for fitting people to boats. It will help us get kayaks ready and make for more time on the water!
2. Keep in mind this is a paddlesport! This activity happens on the water, so come prepared for getting wet (i.e. wetsuit, swimsuit, dry clothes, etc.). Getting your own wetsuit that fits you well helps keep you warmer and drier. There are wetsuits available for purchase at our retail store, Mountain to Sound Outfitters.
3. If you wear glasses, make sure you have croakies (or similar) to keep your glasses attached to your head in the event of a capsize.
4. Don’t be afraid to have fun!
To reserve a spot in this class, give us a call at (206) 953-0237.
West Seattle Location: 1660 Harbor Ave SW, Seattle, WA 98126 • (206) 953-0237