SUP is one of the easiest and most accessible ways to get on the water! Alki Kayak Tours is working on cutting edge development of SUP instruction in the Pacific NW.
Duration: 2.5 hours
Availability: Thursdays and Saturdays
Learn How to Rescue Yourself and Others!
Learn the essential safety skills all kayakers should know! Sure, kayaking is fun, but what happens if you or others find yourself out of your boat in the water? Learn how to rescue yourself and others with the essential skills and knowledge all kayakers should have. We focus on learning:
- Wet exit
- Self rescues such as the paddle float
- Assisted rescues such as the T-rescue
- Low and high brace to prevent a capsize
- Group management and on-water safety
This is an immersion class with the majority of class time spent in the water. Personal care is key, so make sure you call ahead for advice on how to best prepare with gear and clothing to fully enjoy the class!
- Learn the finer points of bracing, and in a worst case scenario, re-entering your kayak.
- It is important that every sea kayaker is comfortable with self rescue in the event of a capsize or other unforeseen events.
- Bring, borrow, or rent a wetsuit for this cold water immersion and kayak re-entry class (we have a variety of wetsuits available for $10 rental).
- We discuss and practice the assisted rescue as well as deploy the paddle floats to practice the self rescue.
- Class sizes are limited to six, so please make a reservation.
- Bring your boat if you have it!
Need Gear for your Class or Tour? Check out our gear store, Mountain Sound Outfitters.
Before your trip, meet the guides or speed up your check-in by signing our digital liability waiver here.