SUP is one of the easiest and most accessible ways to get on the water! Alki Kayak Tours is working on cutting edge development of SUP instruction in the Pacific NW.
Intro to Sea Kayaking
Duration: 2.5 hours
Never Kayaked Before? Learn How in Our Kayaking Class!
Sea kayaking is a wonderful way to get in touch with nature as you paddle the waters of the Pacific NW. As one of the leaders in kayak instruction in the region, we give you the tools, knowledge, and awareness you need to begin exploring the Puget Sound from the cockpit of a kayak.
Your lessons focuses on:
Dressing properly for water sports
Equipment, boat design, and proper boat fitting
Awareness and management of maritime hazards
Boat control and comfort
- Our instructors go over the basics of sea kayaking. We cover all aspects of safely preparing for your paddle, then get out on Elliott Bay for some on-water instruction.
- Space is limited to six persons per evening. If you have a group of two or more, we can provide this instruction on another evening by reservation.
- This course is recommended for rental of our single sea kayaks, and these skills are required for the Rescue and Recovery Course.
- While the Intro to Sea Kayaking Course is designed as a stand-alone course, it is recommended that paddlers follow up with the Rescue and Recovery or Sea Kayaking Essentials courses.
Tips to Prepare for Your First Sea Kayak Course:
- Let the Alki Kayak Tours staff member know your height, weight, inseam, and shoe size. These are typical pieces of information that are used for fitting people to boats. It will help us get kayaks ready and make for more time on the water!
- Keep in mind this is a paddle sport! This activity happens on the water, so come prepared for getting wet (i.e. wetsuit, swimsuit, dry clothes, etc.).
- Getting your own wetsuit that fits you well helps keep you warmer and drier. There are wetsuits available for purchase at our retail store, Mountain to Sound Outfitters.
- If you wear glasses, make sure you have croakies (or similar) to keep your glasses attached to your head in the event of a capsize.
- Don’t be afraid to have fun!
Need Gear for your Class or Tour? Check out our gear store, Mountain Sound Outfitters.
Before your trip, meet the guides or speed up your check-in by signing our digital liability waiver here.